The last couple weeks are always a pileup. Wnen I arrive, I try to figure out what’s going on, what I hope to do, and then set some plans in motion. There’s usually a lull before those seeds start sprouting, a rusn as things either get done or they don’t all at once.
So we pulled the trigger on the wiring for the internet!
I had mentioned rat-infested crawl spaces in my last post, and I have to admit that never came to pass. We didn’t encounter a single rodent. I feel I was misled by the copious chewed cables I found in the old abandoned lab room. I’ll spare you a photo of the shit filled server cabinet we pulled the switch out of. Still, it seems the rats or whatever are in hiding at the moment. Perhaps trying to lull us into complacency.
We ended up running nearly all the wire on the exterior of the buildings and using conduit to protect it from the elements and latent pests. This bumped up the difficulty quite a bit… having to thread each pipe segment over some 100m of cable as we went. I also hadn’t considered this when estimating the cost – though in the end it only came out to another $70 or so. If the school can’t reimburse me for that I’ll just eat it.
I suppose this is the modern age and I can just cut to the chase and point you to the annotated pictures. Well, here you go.
So I’ve done all I can do at this point – we’re waiting on Telkom to hook up the DSL. With only a week left I’m sweating that a bit, but I’m keeping the faith.
I’ll post some neat-o nature pictures from the past two weeks soon.